Hi Fred,

Loss *anywhere* would broaden the antenna. Famously the B&W folded dipole,
fed at the center of one wire, and terminated with an RF resistor at the
center of the other, has for decades been serving commercial installations
with widely separated operating frequencies not connected by any fortunate
harmonic relationship. That antenna has roughly an intentional 3 dB loss at
a designed position in the antenna. See
https://www.bwantennas.com/images/fdipole.gif for a drawing.

In the case of your EFHW, the broadening loss is the dielectric loss in the
fence itself, and in the ground very close underneath.

The B&W folded dipole as a solution sticks in the craw of a lot of hams,
because we always think there is some way to navigate the problems and keep
the 3 dB for ourselves. The thought of heating up the air with half the
power out from out two kilo-buck brick-on-key PileUpBuster brand amp just
bothers us no end.

And where the power to the antenna cannot be increased by 3 dB to
compensate, if we regularly work the barely open paths on the low bands for
new DX and contest multipliers, that 3 dB can make a huge difference.

BUT...

If we are just dodging the HOA, vs creating a remote site, or not operating
at all, what you describe seems quite reasonable. One half wave on 80, two
on 40, three on 30m, four on 20m, etc. allow a rather simple feed
mechanism, and any sloppiness will be mitigated to some degree in the
unavoidable dielectric loss of the fence and ground.

In the past, particularly with tetrode final tube(s), a pi network would
absorb ugly antenna impedances just by load and tune, easily servicing
impedances that would croak transistor amps. Back in 1959 I regularly
worked the traffic nets end-feeding 120 feet of wandering wire up about 20
feet against a ground pipe, fed with about 30 feet of coax directly from an
807 tetrode and a pi network. I was not loud, but I won a BPL medallion. A
later addition of a home brew 250TH amp improved things quite a bit for the
folks on the other end, but the antenna was as much as I could ever do from
that location.

73, Guy K2AV