Alan,

I am going to guess - the difference may be the result on the KAT3 present in the K3 or not present.

My perusal of the K3 manual indicates that the ATU TUNE button refers to the KAT3 - I see no exceptions for the KAT500. I really don't know what happens if the KAT3 is not present.

So for that K3, you would use TUNE for tuning the KAT500. In order for the KAT500 to find a match, set the K3 TUNE PWR menu to 10 watts or more (20 watts is better).

73,
Don W3FPR