Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 5:47 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3/KAT500

Hi Don & Alan,

Without the KAT3 present the ATU TUNE button has no effect other than
displaying the "NO ATU" message briefly. This goes for both tap and hold. As
you say, use the TUNE button to generate a medium power (set by "TUN PWR" in
config) carrier. This will cause the KAT500 to recall a stored setting or
tune if necessary if in AUTO mode. It's a little murky to me under what
circumstances it will tune if in MANUAL mode, but it will usually at least
do a recall of  stored setting if it has one.

AB2TC - Knut

Don Wilhelm wrote
Alan,

I am going to guess - the difference may be the result on the KAT3
present in the K3 or not present.

My perusal of the K3 manual indicates that the ATU TUNE button refers to
the KAT3 - I see no exceptions for the KAT500.  I really don't know what
happens if the KAT3 is not present.

So for that K3, you would use TUNE for tuning the KAT500.  In order for
the KAT500 to find a match, set the K3 TUNE PWR menu to 10 watts or more
(20 watts is better).

73,
Don W3FPR