Re "Is it safe to assume I won't be loosing any performance by making this chance and even gain some?": If you mean the KX2 or KX3 vs. the FT-817 you should have better HF performance by far. And you can opt for an internal ATU in either rig, a huge plus in my mind, Brian.

What you lose is the 144/470 all-mode capability of the FT-817 (which is why I kept mine as long as I did). You can add 2m to the KX3, but I've not done that.

While the KX3 has features not available in the KX2 (more bands, a roofing filter, feasibility of adding the PX3 panadapter, a bit more power), I've found the KX2 to be an equally good QRP rig.

73, Phil W7OX