As mentioned, you lose 70 cm. I do have the 2 m module installed but
haven't had much opportunity to use it. The roofing filters and the overall
receiver performance of the K3 will floor you compared to the 817 (I owned
an 817ND). Working PSK-31 with a CW key is a blast (as a alternative to
dragging the extra equipment around).

I have a Flex-6500 on the desk. I have been sorely tempted numerous times
to simplify, sell and go with a KPA-100 and KX-3 combination to replace it.
I've done many side-by-side receive comparisons and the KX3 holds its own
nicely in typical conditions.

So, not sure what you should do but as one that had the 817ND and now a KX3
I have never looked back. I suggest the roofing filter and the antenna
tuner at minimum. I'm not a fan of the current internal charger option -
that needs work. I use an external battery and fall back to internal only
when necessary. The paddles work very well for me. I also have the Begali
but the KXPD3 is good. Everything else (and I got it all) is just fluff I
think.

Whatever you choose... have a blast!

73,
Kevin K4VD