Tom,

Are you driving your audio level correctly.
With the K3S (or K3 or KX3 or KX2) you need to set the soundcard level and the line in level so you have 4 bars solid on the ALC meter with possibly the 5th bar flickering.

Then adjust the power output to the desired level with the power knob.

This is essential for the K3S to maintain good power control. Power control will be erratic if you do otherwise.

Ignore the common internet advice to set the power to maximum and use the audio level to control the power - that just does not work with the K3S because its power control mechanism is different than other transceivers.

As far as the "No ALC" internet advice goes, for the K3S, the onset of ALC is at the 5th bar, so 4 bars is actually the No ALC point. The 1st 4 bars are there to help you adjust the audio level - sort of like a VU Meter.

73,
Don W3FPR