On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 6:59 AM, Bill W4ZV <btipp...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> This is nothing new.  K3ZO has been doing this for about 30 years (at
> least)
> using wide filters and his ears as DSP.

Some people really CAN do this. For some years while he was living in NC, I
had the pleasure of operating with W2CS at the NY4A multi/multi sessions.
There were some number of neat things he could do, that I could not make
happen in my brain, including the K3ZO method and typing 100% copy well
behind the signal while carrying on an unrelated conversation.

I think I figured out I can't copy CW and chew gum at the same time or
something pretty close. So beware of presentation of methodology as general
technique, that actually requires some not-so-common physical talents to
pull off. I *do* know that K3ZO and W2CS *can* do that, and I also know
that I *cannot*. And I also know that my chances of typing CW well behind
the signal and carrying on a separate conversation in the room about how
deep to plant radials at the same time are simply, factually, ZERO.  :>)

I do know how to turn K3 diversity into a sound stage and spread signals in
a pile up around an audio "horizon". So I'm not totally devoid.  :>)

73, Guy K2AV