> Now we're getting to the good part of this thread, which I've found quite
illuminating, because it explains user preferences for one radio over
another that aren't obvious. Thanks to Will, Guy, and Bill for their very
useful contributions to the discussion.

I agree, this is a very interesting topic.  I've heard some lore about the
TS-830 and 930, and the Yaesu FT-990 having very desirable receiver
characteristics for hearing weak signals in pileups.... not necessarily due
to a specific design goal or commensurate with minimizing close-in IMD,
 but as a byproduct of the overall receiver design whose distortion
characteristics happen to work nicely in a pileup.

In terms of the phase shift introduced by filters, I assume the distortion
introduced by the filter is commensurate with the steepness of the skirts?