From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of
Michael A. Wong
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 1:01 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] "Random wire" vs Buddystick - myth, bias or luck?

Hey folks,

KX3 and Buddistick owner here. I've been getting a lot of feedback that I
would get better performance (more contacts) with a random wire vs my
Buddistick. So, while I've noticed that reception is much better with the
wire, with the Buddistick, I get 1.1:1 according to the KX3 and have made
all my contacts with the Buddistick.

Now, recognizing the DIY nature of our hobby might lead people to recommend
a random wire over a commercial antenna, if I actually manage to deploy the
wire "optimally", should I really see performance equal or outpace the
Buddistick? Or am I simply finding bad luck the times I try to get a QSO
over a wire?

I've tried deploying from a 30' pole sloping down, the hypotenuse of the
triangle pointing to my desired direction. I tried deploying 40+ feet
between two trees about 12' off the ground. Now I'm going to get a Zebco 202
and rig up my slingshot to deploy vertical. But honestly, I can get the
Buddistick up and running in about 3 minutes....

Mainly, I'm on 20m and maybe I haven't read the right book on random wire
antennas, but I would appreciate the group's thoughts.

Sent from my iPad

delivered to k...@arrl.net