SOME 'junk' PL259s are fine. If there are problems with the threads you will know right away. I have had some that are plated with something that won't take solder, or which have plastic insulation that melts when you solder the center pin. But again, you will know this right away.

SO239s and barrels may have contact tension problems that take awhile to manifest themselves. And elbows and Ts can have internal issues (like the famous elbows with little springs to join the two parts). For these, only Amphenol or mil-spec will do.

Having said all this, just before I moved here, I ordered a bunch of Amphenol connectors, including the PL259s.

73,
Vic, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO