No doubt in 1991 they were using bipolar transistors, which in some cases could
hit a "magic" combination that resulted in better than average performance.
These days everyone uses MOSFETs, which are consistently in the -30 dBc range
on at least one band. The K3S with the latest updates averages about -35 dBc at
100 W (see ARRL review).

Wayne
N6KR