Before I bought my K3, I discussed the radio with someone in the booth at Radiofest, a small hamfest held near Monterey, CA. After I had learned a very little bit about the radio, I had my wife (KI6SLX), a retired QA engineer for Apple, discuss UI issues. When she said it seemed OK, I wrote a check.

I like Brian's idea of simulating contest conditions to test receivers. Such a simulation would need to be reproducible and good enough that it can't be gamed. For testing CW reception, perhaps a fixed set of signals modulated through a very linear SSB modulator would work. That could give at least 2KHz of signals for the receiver to handle.

The West Valley Amateur Radio Association field day operation sometimes has 3 signals active on one band (CW, digital, and SSB). We manage to get by running QRP with K3(S)s, KX3s, K2s and carefully placed antennas. For CQP, we managed to run two stations on a band at 100 watts with similar equipment and techniques.

73 Bill AE6JV