Al, thanks for a very informative and helpful discussion. This sort of posting
is what makes the Elecraft listserv so valuable.

Lew N6LEW

> On Oct 24, 2016, at 10:21 PM, Al Lorona <alor...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Receivers are always ranked by the "2 kHz third order dynamic range", such as
> at: http://www.remeeus.eu/hamradio/pa1hr/productreview.pdf  but do we really
> grasp the meaning of these specs? For instance, the Elecraft K3's (after
> synthesizer upgrade) number is 103 dB, good enough to be in the top ten. In
> fact, this number is so strong that very few hams will ever be affected by
> it. To the best of my knowledge, I have *never* been close to running out of
> dynamic range. To understand why, let's put "103 dB" into English.
>
> Let's say you're on 20 meter CW, operating at 14.050 MHz. You're listening
> through your fine Elecraft 500 Hz crystal filter when suddenly, and by
> incredible coincidence, two equally strong 49 dB over S9 signals begin
> transmitting at the exact same time, one on 14.052 and the other at 14.054
> MHz, exactly 2 kHz and 4 kHz up from where you're listening. With the preamp
> off (which is totally believeable on 20 meters with a decent antenna) you
> will just barely hear a "ghost signal" right at the noise level... if you
> notice it at all. That "ghost" signal is the two-tone, 3rd order intermod
> product generated in the K3 receiver by those two hugely strong and perfectly
> placed signals.
>
> Not a very likely scenario, but that's what 103 dB of dynamic range buys you.
>
> I have assumed a noise floor or MDS of -130 dBm because it's a nice round
> number. If your 20 meter noise floor is higher than this, then the two
> signals would have to be *even stronger* to hear the intermod come out of the
> noise.
>
> Even if each of those interferers was *60* dB over S9 -- pegging the
> S-meter-- the intermod product on 14.050 would still be only S5. Amazing.
> This kind of performance begs the question, "How much more dynamic range is
> really needed?" and some (like Rob Sherwood) have said that once you're above
> 90 dB, you already have enough, at HF at least.
>
> Perhaps it's time to rank receivers by a different measurement, something
> that affects more of us. Looking through the table at the link above we see
> another measurement called "2 kHz blocking gain compression" and for the same
> K3 it is 143 dB. This is a measurement not of two interfering signals, but a
> single interferer just 2 kHz away. Since there's only one signal, it won't
> generate a "ghost", but it will reduce the gain of the receiver. ARRL defines
> this as the signal level that reduces the gain by 1 dB. One dB is really
> small, something like changing your RF Gain knob from the 3:00 o'clock
> position to maybe the 2:45 o'clock position. Barely noticeable. Nonetheless,
> for our K3 the signal required to do this is about +13 dBm, or 20 milliwatts,
> which is probably near the damage level of the receiver! (I'm quite sure that
> Wayne has made intercontinental QSOs at 20 mW.) It's a theoretical value that
> [...]

Lew Phelps N6LEW
Pasadena, CA DM04wd
Elecraft K3-10 / KXV144 / XV432
Yaesu FT-7800
l...@n6lew.us
www.n6lew.us

Generalized Law of Entropy: Sooner or later, everything that has been put
together will fall apart.