From: brian <als...@comcast.net>
To: "Elecraft@mailman.qth.net >> 'Elecraft Reflector'"
        <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] AGC INFORMATION

Hi Matt,

I used to think I could copy CW signals below the noise.
However when I put SPECTROGRAM in line and actually measured the S/N
ratio the results were disappointing.

According the SPECTROGRAM, those "in the noise" signals actually had an
+8-10 dB S/N ratio.

Try it and see for yourself.

Likewise those WSPR and JT65 guys have been mislead by the -dB (e.g.
-20) edited signal strengths.  They need to know that those are
calculated with a 2.4 - 2.8 KHz assumed noise power.  In reality, many
of the negative "dB" value signals can be copied by ear.

73 de Brian/K3KO

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"