Tim,

That is what Fixed Mode is all about - the center frequency stays put and the cursor follows the VFO. If you have the SPAN set to a value more narrow than your QSY excursion, the cursor will go off-screen.

If you instead go to tracking mode, the cursor stays fixed in the center and the "background area" moves and the frequency at the center will track your VFO frequency.

73,
Don W3FPR