Yep, totally true. Same problem/effect as when someone uses way more power than needed on a satellite transponder. Just be careful of your ears. At 2.7 KHz [widest roofer I have], I never encountered a really strong signal in the passband that I could hear, in the fairly short time I was using JT-65. One approach from "way back in radio" is to wear your headphones somewhat forward on your head when in these AGC-off modes. CONFIG:AF LIM ON is also a really good idea.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Sparks NV DM09dn

- Northern California Contest Club