David,

The most likely problem is that you have too much output from the sound card.

Try putting a 10 dB attenuator in the cable between the soundcard and the KX3 MIC input - 100k in series with 10k from the KX3 end of that resistor to the shield should do nicely.

The KX3 has an audio protection mechanism that kicks in if there is too much audio, and that makes the MIC level an unreasonable value.

73,
Don W3FPR