FWIW, all of my 30A PP connectors are soldered, not crimped, as originally
recommended by Wayne for those who choose not to spend the money on a
purpose-built crimper for PowerPole terminals. I have not had any trouble since
I started soldering PP connectors for my KPA100 fifteen years ago. I currently
have about a dozen PP cables in the shack.

To solder the terminals on the wires, I put the stripped wires in a vice, ends
pointing upward. Slip the connectors over the exposed wire and align them to
easily slide in to the housing later. I heat the terminal on the end and feed
solder in through the small opening at the "top" of the terminal (when it is in
the vice) so it flows down into the inside of the terminal and into the wire
strands. That way there is no solder on the outside of the terminal or on the
contact surface above where I add the solder.

Solder on the outside of the terminal makes it hard to slide into the housing
but it can be desoldered/filed down if needed. Solder on the mating terminal
surface means it won't mate properly and the terminal needs to be replaced. PP
connectors depend upon clean, flat mating surfaces for a proper, low-resistance
contact. That is lost if a layer of solder is allowed to flow onto the terminal.

Properly done crimps that exclude all air and water vapor molecules from
between the wire and terminal are as good as solder and they are a lot faster
to make, especially with a little practice. That's why they are widely used in
manufacturing where time is money.

73, Ron AC7AC