This has drifted fairly far from the original.  Thus encouraged ...

I wondered about that and being retired I pursued it, ultimately with the tech folks [well, one folk] at WWV who repeatedly assured me that they were on-frequency and that their time information was correct which of course was never the issue. Somewhere in all the words I read about the station, I did find a reference to plate modulated Class-C transmitters but I have lost it's QTH on this disk drive.

Most plate modulators ran Class-B or -AB, and were subject to cross-over non-linearities. The 5, 10, and 15 MHz signals look very much the same on the spectrum display which [weakly] suggests the unexpected distortion products may arise somewhere in the baseband chain. The 2.5 and 20 MHz transmitters, being low-level modulated, may tap that chain before the distortion is introduced.

ARC-5's, when cathode-keyed, were notorious for key clicks, almost as bad as the Yeasu rigs of recent eras. [:-) Of course, for my K3, the "carrier-balance" and "opposite sideband suppression" is perfect. I think, but don't know, that the K3 shapes the CW with a raised-cosine filter. With strong signals, it *is* possible to identify a K3 by its CW spectrum, particularly in the WF.

Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

--Northern California Contest Club