I'm fairly certain that Fred meant 1/2 wave ... correct hand, wrong finger, happens to me all the time.

This has been going on for a long time, here's a summary and maybe it can rest for awhile:

1. Elecraft ATU's are L-networks. Theoretically, one of the 4 L-net configurations will match any impedance to any other impedance. Practically, for some attempted matches, the required values of L and/or C become unattainable.

2.  Any conductor you can get power into will radiate.

3. "Random" length wires will exhibit random impedances at the end [or anywhere else along them]. ATU's will *generally* match those impedances to 50 ohms [or close] for you.

4. Some "random" lengths are better than others for matching with an L-network. They all radiate however [see #2]. 41-43 ft is one, ~26 ft is another. Random length conductors require a counterpoise of some sort.

5. All half-wavelength conductors are created equal in terms of current/voltage distribution. The ends are open circuits ... zero current/infinite voltage. The center is a short circuit ... infinite current/zero voltage. The power on the conductor is constant [ignoring wire resistance]. It doesn't matter where you feed it. A full-wave wire is just two half-waves fed in series.

6. Infinities aren't real of course, the ends are high voltage/small current = Hi-Z [several K ohms]. The center is high current/small voltage = Lo-Z [40-70 ohms].

7. Feeding a half-wave at the end would seem to require that there be "something" for the other side of the circuit so current can flow. Practically, because the impedance is very high, the current is very low and the "something" doesn't have to be very much. In fact, if the primary of the matching transformer is fed with a couple feet of coax, the shield will provide that "something." So will the wiring around you [headphone cable, power cable, key cable], and you if you're holding your radio.

8. For NEC-2 models, connecting a source to the end of the half-wave wire means there is no return path and it essentially tries to divide by zero, maxing out a floating-point value. It's a little more complex than that, but that's the essence. In such a model, you need to provide a return path for a very small current. On 20 meters, one of my field half-waves requires about 6 in. Anything longer makes no difference.

One easy way to construct a "random" length antenna is to peel the outer cover from a length of RG-58, separate the braid at the bottom and pull the center conductor through the hole. The empty braid then becomes the counterpoise and you can trim it to find the "sweet spot" your ATU can easily match.

Hope this helps on the subject.  Happy New Year to all

Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

--Northern California Contest Club