My experience matches this precisely.

~35 years ago, I built the huge quad described in "Evolution of a Quad Array"
from an article in QST, May 1978, IIRC.  It was done with help from experienced
antenna builders, measured very meticulously.  When we finally got it up on the
tower, it was awful, weird SWRs, no F/B, nothing seemed right.  I checked all
the feedlines and connectors.  Nothing amiss.

I had found a roll of No. 12 insulated wire at a surplus place and used that
for all the elements.  In discussions with the owner of the quad in the article
and the designer, we concluded the problem was the insulation, as the design
used enameled No. 12, different velocity factor.  I spent the next ~2 weeks of
evenings, until 10-11 at night, with a pocket knife on my roof scraping
insulation from ~1200' of wire in situ.  Not only was it no fun, the neighbors
never looked at me the same again.  Once that was done, the antenna performed
wonderfully, as expected.
73 Jim Allen W6OGC