From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Guy
Olinger K2AV
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 7:37 AM
To: Dave AD6A <d...@ad6a.com>; Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KPA500 Power Supply Environmental/Ergonomic Issue

While without reference to quantities I certainly agree with the sentiment,
but to be focused on a night light level power is kind of like swatting at
gnats while pidgeons are flying around in the kitchen.

Does your attic insulation need replacing. Are all of the light fixtures in
your house converted to LED. Are your refrigerators made in the current
decade. Are all of your windows gas-filled double pane. Are your water
heater and all the hot water piping in your house insulated. The list of
things that would bury that 6 watts by a couple of orders of magnitude is
quite long.

Then there is this other thing specific to CPU based equipment. And that is
maintaining signal states relative to other equipment. They get confused
when things go cold off and aren't brought back on in a particular sequence.

It was always fun when the PC folks at SAS (which is buried in PCs) had to
take down a thousand or so functionally shared PCs for maintenance or
something. They had to be taken off in sequence and brought back in service
with a very complex and specifically ordered startup. Every now and then
that group had to work all hands on deck 48 hour weekends and took naps on
cots put out for the purpose. Those PCs were kept on their own AC mains with
a honking monster UPS that would power my house for weeks off the grid.
Power blips taking down a couple floors of PCs could put a building full of
very high paid advanced programmer types sitting on their hands for a day or
worse. They figured that out early and spent the money.

Your Elecraft gear has some related if not so killer issues on cold starts
that nevertheless result in tech support calls. Think Big E just trying to
keep the noise and confusion down on the TS lines, with a method that has
become pretty much standard practice.

Seems to me it's been a long time since TVs had batteries in them unless it
was a portable intended to be operated off mains. Paying for a service call
to replace a battery gone bad was drummed out long time back.

If you have a PC in the shack, do you do a shutdown when you leave? Or leave
it on to get OS and virus security updates and email?  Check the power draw
on that.

I'm trying to convince the wife to replace our 23 year old kitchen
refrigerator that still works perfectly.

I wish that my KPA's off state power draw was the prime offender at my house
:>).

73, Guy K2AV

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:46 PM Dave AD6A <d...@ad6a.com> wrote:

> I recently added a KPA500 kit for my home station. It went together
> just fine, and overall I love it.
>
> There is one thing about the way it works that bugs the engineer and
> environmentalist in me.
>

> Before I bought the PA, I thought I'd be able to turn it on/off
> entirely using the ON button on the front panel.
>
> I thought that maybe there was a supercap or backup battery that kept
> the button's electronics alive to perform the ON button function (like
> TV's have in them).
>
> However, it doesn't work like this. In order to turn the PA off
> completely, you have to turn off the main power switch on the rear panel.
>

> The front panel ON button powers up the PA from what looks like a cold
> state, however, my measurements are as follows:
>

> 1.      With the main power switch on the back panel turned OFF, the PA
> takes no power at all (0.0W)
> 2.      When you turn the main power switch on the back panel to ON, the
PA

--
Sent via Gmail Mobile on my iPhone

delivered to pin...@erols.com