I have two EFHW antennas. One covering 40 and 20; the other 17. They are mounted at about 40 feet and perform equal to regular dipoles. Feeding them is therefore much simpler for portable ops since only one side needs to be elevated. For portable use I feed them with about 20 feet of RG/58a, although they can be attached directly to the radio. I find, however, that a bit of coax causes them to be a lot less finicky. They have been my field day and SOTA portable goto antennas for many years. Transformers are not difficult to construct and there are some good quality assembled products that are excellent.

Doug -- K0DXV