I am feeding my end-feds with over 100 feet of coax and they work just fine.

Doug - K0DXV

On 2/9/2017 1:21 PM, K9MA wrote:
Well said, Bill!

73,

Scott  K9MA

On 2/9/2017 10:39, Bill Leonard N0CU wrote:
The reason your antenna was a lot less finicky with a bit of coax is that the EFHW antenna requires a return path for the RF field. Theoretically, without a return path, the antenna won't radiate at all. The recommended setup for this antenna is for a .05 wavelength counterpoised to be used. EZNEC models
indicate that there is little benefit to going much longer than .05
wavelengths, and a quarter wavelength is actually less effective than the shorter lengths. If no counterpoise is used, then coax shield becomes the
counterpoise by default.

Bill  N0CU