I've been a bit Leary of LiPo batteries since I used to fly Electric RC
helicopters.
They can be quite volatile

      From: Doug Person <d...@k0dxv.com>
 To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:41 PM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [KX3] Lithium Battery Video

I had a poor quality Lithium-ion pack explode with the force of dynamite
while recharging. Shrapnel was embedded in the sheet rock 8 feet away.
The shock wave was so intense, it ruptured my left eardrum.  I never
considered that they could be dangerous.  Now I know by finding out the
hard way.  The PBS show was excellent.

Doug -- K0DXV

On 2/7/2017 6:08 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:
> [...]
> But I do remember:
>
> The energy density of lithium-chemistry batteries is extraordinarily
> high, and they have an almost infinitesimal internal resistance.
> Consequently, anything that shorts even part of the battery is going
> to result in extreme currents and resulting electrical and pyrotechnic
> displays.
>
> The "secret" to safe lithium-chemistry batteries appears to be really
> good engineering and manufacturing quality control.  I've had one
> LiPoly RC battery I used with my KX1 go up in flames while I was
> calling CQ in the Spartan Sprint.  Fortunately, I was outside on the
> deck, it was externally connected via a pigtail, and I was able to
> fling it over the deck railing onto the gravel driveway.  It's
> provenance was difficult to determine, but I suspect somewhere way way
> to the west of NV.
>
> If a lithium-chemistry battery ignites, water is not likely to put the
> fire out.  Cheap isn't always a good deal, and I'd never use one
> internal to the radio.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
> Sparks NV DM09dn
> Washoe County
>
> On 2/7/2017 3:19 PM, Ken G Kopp wrote:
>> Yes, the PBS / NOVA program was indeed informative ... and free of
>> political BS 😁
>>
>> 73
>>
>> K0PP
>>
>> On Feb 6, 2017 8:26 PM, "k5de...@gmail.com [KX3]" <
>> kx3-nore...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>>

>>> For anyone who would like to know why Lithium batteries can be so
>>> dangerous I ran across this interesting video from PBS Nova. If you
>>> have
>>> not seen it yet take a look. It should be worth you time.
>>>
>>> Tim - K5DEZ
>>>

>>> __._,_.___
>>> ------------------------------
>>> Posted by: k5de...@gmail.com
>>> ------------------------------
>>>

>>> • Reply to sender
>>> <k5de...@gmail.com?subject=Re%3A%20Lithium%20Battery%20Video> •
>>> Reply to
>>> group
>>> <k...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Lithium%20Battery%20Video> • Start
>>> a New Topic
>>> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/KX3/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJmOXU1ZDI0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzE0ODY0MzgwMTA->
>>>

>>> • Messages in this topic
>>> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/KX3/conversations/topics/61119;_ylc=X3oDMTM3ajlzbDA2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM2MTExOQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzE0ODY0MzgwMTAEdHBjSWQDNjExMTk->
>>>

>>> (1)
>>> Have you tried the highest rated email app? <https://yho.com/1wwmgg>
>>> With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email
>>> app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all
>>> inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an

Message delivered to hlyin...@yahoo.com