From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Kevin -
K4VD
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2017 6:49 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] Considering KPA500/KAT500 Combo with Flex 6500

Hi... with all the hoopla over the new $7K Flex amplifier I was feeling a
little power envy so went on a search for options. I own an Elecraft KX3
and absolutely love the rig quality so I'm thinking about the KPA500/KAT500
combination assuming I'll get the same quality equipment.

Is anyone running this combination with the Flex 6500 who might share their
thoughts, configurations, hints & kinks?

I'm thinking the combination makes sense for me because (my decision
points):

1) Being a low power operator, 500 watts seems a lot more manageable than a
nuclear powered 1.5 KW setup. It seems like a good, safe step.

2) No electrician required. I think I can run it off 110 VAC already in my
shack.

3) If I understand correctly, there is little or no integration effort
required. I'm looking at putting it inline with the RF path and adding a
PTT connection. Voila.

4) The KX3 is able to easily tune my 600 ohm ladder line fed (via 4:1
BALUN) 80 meter dipole on any band so I would guess the KAT500 wouldn't
have an issue.

Is there a reason I shouldn't consider this setup with the Flex? The only
other thing that caught my eye was the ACOM 1010 which would also require
an external tuner.

73,
Kev K4VD

Message delivered to