My Elecraft rigs are connected to guyed, end-fed half wave vertical
monopole antennas, one each on 30 meters and 40 meters.  I use
tapped-L-parallel-C matching networks at the base of these antennas, which
are ground mounted and insulated.

They radiate at the horizon, or darned close to it, and don't need any
inconvenient ground radial wires, or even a particularly low impedance
earth.  To me, that fact alone was worth any other effort.

I got inspiration for my antennas from similar designs used at the
following addresses ... each have historical markers, incidentally ... if
you are curious, you can use Google Maps to see them yourself:

764 Tylersville Road, Mason, Ohio

8068 Concord Road, Brentwood, Tennessee

While the hams who designed and installed these antennas had bigger budgets
than I do, they had the same goals.

For portable use, if you can manage an overhead tree branch at a suitable
height, only 60 feet of wire interrupted in the center with 47 microHenrys
of L yielded a center-loaded EFHW I used *very* successfully on 80 meters.
Again, no radials needed, a major consideration to me.  The feedpoint
impedance was quite high, so the matching network I had to make was
interesting but still do-able.

Steve KZ1X/4
K2 #771
K3 #6081