I normally tune using the P3/SVGA monitor for tuning. For me, it is a visual experience. During the WPX RTTY contest last weekend, I set my span to about 25, so I could see both tracks of the RTTY signal. I could get close enough to decode using the KPOD knob. I fine tuned by ear, and by using the Crossed Ellipse Indicator/XY scope in cocoaModem. I use a similar technique to tune CW and can get the APF tuned by lining up the tuning indicator with the signal in the waterfall.

The bigest issue with this technique is the lag between turning the knob and seeing the SVGA display change. Using a mouse would make the lag less important. Where I would a mouse almost all the time is in the big jumps. On a single band contest, I start at one end of the active area of the band and S&P my way to the other end. By then, the band conditions have changed enough that is is worth going through again, so there is a big jump to the other side of the active area. There are also sometimes gaps big enough to be too slow with knob turning.

There may be a technical implementation problem for Elecraft. The last time I paid attention, the P3 didn't support USB hubs. They would need hub support to use both a mouse and keyboard at the same time.

73 Bill AE6JV