Sorry, Frank, but the claim that the K3 VFO is faster than the mouse can
only be true for small frequency changes.

The last time I asked Elecraft about this feature, I put this to the
test by comparing the two VFO knobs on the K3 against the small knob on
the P3-SVGA, and comparing both of those against an SDR panadapter that
was linked to the K3 and tuned with a mouse.

The time taken to tune with a knob increases with the frequency span of
the display, and with a wide display this can take several seconds of
vigorous spinning. Changing into 'high gear' using the RATE button
doesn't really help because the button-presses bring a time penalty of
their own, plus a significant risk of stabbing the wrong button.

The unweighted VFO B knob is also significantly slower than VFO A.

But if the mouse is close to hand, the time taken to point and click
anywhere on the panadapter screen is *completely independent* of the
on-screen frequency span and is never greater than 2-3 seconds. My mouse
sits right between the keyer paddles and the K3 tuning knob so it's
always easy to find, and then the hand goes naturally back to the VFO
knob for the final zeroing-in.

Meanwhile, the cursor knob on the P3 came in a hopeless third. For
anyone who needs to QSY quickly, this is not a serious operating
feature.

So there really is no contest here. For QSYing rapidly across a wide
frequency range to jump on new stations, the mouse is a very clear
winner.

And that, I regret to say, is why my second K3 purchase did not include
another P3. Without the mouse feature I wouldn't even consider it.

73 from Ian GM3SEK