Bill;

To be fair, we have had one instance of the problem, and that station was
running the battery critically low. In fact the battery failed at that voltage
(something like 10 volts) and had to be permanently removed from service.
Perhaps the answer is to take the battery manufacturer’s advice and not to run
the batteries below 11.5 volts. I believe the K3 has a low-voltage alarm that
can be applied to the problem so that it gives a warning at the critical
voltage and won’t continue until the power is corrected.

In general, we have found the K3 to be an excellent performer when running off
battery at 12 to 13.8 volts, whether charging or not. Anyone wishing to hear
us, just listed for K6EI in Field Day. And for those who wonder, having great
antennas 500 or so feet above San Francisco Bay gives us great signals, even at
5 watts.

- Jack, W6FB