I received a load of interesting and solid replies regarding my query about the IC-7300. Many were quite technical and some were excellent from a daily use perspective. However, without a doubt, the non-technical advice regarding a backup rig was the best I received.

" ......... put the money in a savings account and add $50 to cover next day shipping for the off chance your rig dies." It was also suggested that a second rig is an expensive paperweight (because modern rigs are very reliable). "Paperweight" is applicable in my case, as I am only able to operate a single rig at a time - I do not do multi-QSO well.

Hence, I have decided on an envelope in the desk labeled "for K3S." Better to do that, than to keep a spare on the shelf gathering dust. Further, there is no steep learning curve going from a K3 to a K3S.

Thanks to all that replied - I learned a lot.

Best  73,

Bill W2BLC