This is an easy one.  The USB ports are going to sleep.  This can be fixed in
device manager.
Google "prevent USB ports from going to sleep".

73-Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: mtkos...@gmail.com Date: 3/5/17  2:33
PM  (GMT-06:00) To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: [Elecraft] K3S USB issue
with Dell OptiPlex 745 - Win 10
Our club’s new K3S will not stay connected and often can not be found by our
Dell Optiplex 745 w/Windows 10 (it’s an older computer – but seems to run all
of our Ham programs and attached devices  without issue).   Reconnecting the
USB cables sometimes fixes the issue.   Oddly, if we install & remove a USB
mouse to the same USB port and then reconnect the K3S, the computer finds the
K3S without issue.    Cycling the computer and radio does not address the
problem.

The K3S connects instantly  on newer Dell laptops and and Apple computers.

There seems to be a driver issue with the Dell Optiplex, but all drivers are
current.  We are stumped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marty – N1VH