Hi Don and thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I already have a 67 foot doublet fed with window line as well as  simple wires and counterpoises in line with page 10 of the KXAT1 manual.  They work just fine.  No argument there.

But I stumbled upon this "linear loaded" vertical antenna and thought I might try it. It's is a 20 foot piece of 300 ohm TV line with the conductors twisted and soldered together at the top and taped to a twenty foot crappie pole.  At the bottom, for working 20 and 30 meters, both of the conductors are connected to the red BNC terminal on the KX1 making the the radiator just a "fat" 20 foot wire.  For working 40 meters the bottom conductors are separated and one goes to the red BNC terminal and the other just hangs loose making it a 40 foot antenna.  The write-up I found states, "On 40m the folded wire creates a linear loading effect due to the capacitive coupling between the two wires (note that currents are not equal and opposite so there is no cancellation of signal as you might initially think). This added capacitance allows the wire to be resonated on 40m by the internal tuner in the K1, KX1 or also by the Elecraft T1." The fellow who offered this antenna idea said that he had been using it successfully for quite awhile.

Adding the BL2 is my idea because it will be part of the solution for making the bottom connections.  My intent is to come up with a "decent" portable antenna that I can erect anywhere in just one minute.  I want to come up with some creative way to make all the pieces work together effortlessly, rapidly and reliably, including dealing with the crappie pole.   My dream is to drop the crappie pole into a homemade holder on my camp chair, push up the pole with the antenna following, walk the roll of ribbon cable out in a straight line, go back to the chair, sit down, turn on the KX1 and start operating!  It's my springtime project....

I ordered a 100 foot role of ribbon cable so I can do a little experimenting with opening up the ends.