I should add one thing which is not always obvious to new users of data mode software -- You have to tell the software which COM port to use for rig control qnd proper display of the frequency. You also have to tell the software which soundcard you are using for the data mode audio. For details on that, refer to the documentation of whatever data mode software you have chosen to use.

73,
Don W3FPR

Don and Ronnie,

Let me see if I can help by pointing out the differences between the Elecraft transceivers K3, K3S, KX2 and KX3 and other transceivers in the use of data modes.

The following points are directed at soundcard oriented data modes.

1) Use DATA A instead of the normally recommended USB. While USB will work, you normally have the SSB set up for voice, including compression and TX EQ. The data modes automatically turn compression to zero and turn off TX EQ.

2) For RTTY, use AFSK A - that is specifically designed for RTTY and defaults to LSB which is normal for RTTY.

3) Audio levels - ignore the internet advice to adjust the power with the audio level. Adjust the audio to illuminate 4 bars solid on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flashing. This is the "NO ALC" point for these Elecraft transceivers - the first 4 bars are present to allow you to properly adjust the audio. Once adjusted, you should not have to change it unless something changes it in the computer.

4) Output power - adjust the desired power level with the POWER knob. Do not try to adjust the power with the audio level.

5) LINE IN - It is easy to use LINE IN for soundcard data modes than attempting to use the microphone. If you have the K3S or K3 with the KIO3B, you can use the internal soundcard which your computer should recognize as USB CODEC. If using the internal soundcard, do not plug anything into the K3S LINE IN jack, because that will take precedence over the output of the internal soundcard. 6) For a K3 without the KIO3B, you CAN use the computer's built-in soundcard, but you will find an external soundcard will serve you better. (You can use the computer or USB soundcard with the K3S instead of the K3S internal soundcard). The LINE IN and LINE OUT signals are isolated with transformers and no data mode interface is required.

That about takes care of the differences between the K3/K3S and other non-Elecraft transceivers. The operation of the data mode software will be the same as for any other transceiver.

PSK D and FSK D data modes are there if you want to do other than soundcard oriented data They can encode data entered as CW via the paddles (not from a computer, bug or straight key) The display of decoded text is scrolled on the VFO B display area. The input can also be from the computer as ASCII characters. In the case of FSK D, the FSK keying from a 'one transistor keying circuit' can be applied to the FSK pin on the ACC connector.

The hardest part for a newbie to data modes is normally getting the computer software set up and learning to operate it. This is a problem for any transceiver, it is not unique to the Elecraft gear.

73,
Don W3FPR