NLK[?] at Jim Creek used to transmit on 24.8 KHz with a megawatt or a little more. I don't know if it is still active. The antenna is [was] a linear series of vertical elements down a valley, suspended by cables from the mountains on each side. I believe there were ten total, fed in two groups of 5 from two transmission lines on the valley floor. The suspension cables provided capacitive top loading, most of the radiation came from the vertical elements. Similar to the antenna at SAQ.

Not much to listen to, it was [or still is] extreme QRSS. Just a handful of characters, often only one or two.

The Omega system operated down in the 10-15 KHz range. The NA station was in one of the Dakotas, but it's been decommissioned for several decades. It wasn't much to listen to either. WWVL was on 20 KHz for awhile, gone now, and not much to listen to when it was on. I've "heard" WWVB on 60 KHz, pretty dull.

At frequencies below 20 KHz, you don't need tubes or transistors, just a generator with a lot of poles and high RPM. Before LORAN-C on 100 KHz died, at least one of the stations was outfitted with an Accufix transmitter from Megapulse Corp. This was a late 20th Century re-incarnation of the spark gap TX ... SCR's for the spark gap, huge capacitor banks, around a megawatt, and precise timing from a room full of electronics. What goes around sometimes comes around.

73,

Fred ("Skip") K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn