Hi everyone

I have managed to get the encoder turning reasonable freely. I put a very small amout of WD40 on the shaft where it enters the housing bush.

And then did as Don suggested repeatedly and firmly pushed the knob up at the low point. After quite a lot of pushing it began to loosen up a lot.

So I feel I have a working encoder again and am going to use it for a while and hopefully I won't need to replace it.

I was pretty concerned that pushing it back would damage it further but it works OK

73 and many thanks for all the suggestions

Bob G3PJT