The mcHF does indeed have FreeDV built in RX and TX (I'm looking right at it)

I'm running ver 1.5.7 of the firmware (Ia little old as I have not updated it
recently)

      From: Bob Nielsen <n...@n7xy.net>
 To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Monday, March 27, 2017 7:13 PM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3/K3s; Digital modes, specifically DV

While the mcHF has some digital audio circuitry, I don't believe it
provides a digital voice mode.

FreeDV is a very narrow-band (1.1 kHz) digital voice mode using the
open-source Codec2, developed by VK5DGR.  One can run FreeDV without a
computer using the Rowetel SM1000 adapter
(https://www.tindie.com/products/edwin/sm1000-freedv-adpapter/). This
should work nicely with a KX2 or KX3 for portable FreeDV operation.  I
haven't tried doing that but it looks fairly straightforward.

Bob, N7XY

Message delivered to hlyin...@yahoo.com