Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 16:08:16 -0700
From: Bob Nielsen <n...@n7xy.net>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3/K3s; Digital modes, specifically DV

While the mcHF has some digital audio circuitry, I don't believe it
provides a digital voice mode.

FreeDV is a very narrow-band (1.1 kHz) digital voice mode using the
open-source Codec2, developed by VK5DGR.  One can run FreeDV without a
computer using the Rowetel SM1000 adapter
(https://www.tindie.com/products/edwin/sm1000-freedv-adpapter/). This
should work nicely with a KX2 or KX3 for portable FreeDV operation.  I
haven't tried doing that but it looks fairly straightforward.

Bob, N7XY