Mike, All,

I am with Fred on this call - particularly from a hi-rise hotel balcony at a
resort. My best results have been with an Alex Walkham Magloop (has a nice
small carry on bag that also fits in my suitcase) closely followed by the
Superantenna MP-1 which fits in an old Targus laptop bag. I think some hotel
management groups take poorly to 'fishing' off the 17th floor balcony of their
prime ocean view tower. Last time I did that was the last time I'll ever try
using an End Fed Vertical Wire hung from a fishing rod (it was a surfcaster)...
even after dark.

If I hadn't been a top tier frequent stay guest with the company, it might have
gotten ugly. Some guest below reported me for dropping a camera to look into
rooms... It was just a small weighted ball on the end of the wire. The manager
was polite, but asked me not to do it. I was using the FT - 817 at the time so
I luckily wound up only restricted to UHF/VHF ops and suffered a temporary
reddened face. Glad it was a short stay.

Never had the problem with the other two antenna configurations.

Jack KD4IZ
Sent from my iPad