From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Fred
Jensen
Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:31 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Grounding question on remote tuner

Assuming I understand your configuration and that when you say "isn’t the tuner
already connected to the ‘system ground’ via the coax shield?"
you mean the 3 ft of coax from the 4:1 transformer to the tuner:

The 3 ft path from the transformer ["unun"] to the tuner is handled by the
coax.  The "tuner ground" would then become a safety ground ...
which is a very large, long, and tedious subject involving the NEC, UFER's,
large conductors, a lot of work, and possibly $$.

If "long coax to the shack" means the tuner is a long way from the shack and
your service entrance, I'd drive a ground rod at the tuner and connect the lug
to that.  I'm probably wrong, but that's what I'd do.

73,

Fred ("Skip") K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn