I believe Don is essentially correct regarding bonding all earth terminals directly to the service entrance ground connection. This, however, can be difficult and very costly in the case of an earth terminal far from the service entrance. I believe that the NEC has provisions for such cases [e.g. a barn or other outbuilding located some distance from the service entrance].

200 ft sticks in my mind, but don't bet your paycheck on that. Unfortunately, my copy of the NEC is located in an unknown box out of many in the garage after our move. It is at least a decade old. It will likely remain there.

Possibly someone who actually knows can enlighten the rest of us. It *IS* a real issue.

73,

Fred ("Skip") K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn