Message: 4
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 03:31:59 +0000 (UTC)
From: Al Lorona <alor...@sbcglobal.net>
To: "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT; Feedline question

If instead of using the relative permittivity of air, 1.00059, for calculations
of open-wire line, you use the effective permittivity including any spacers
used to homebrew the line, this value will increase slightly.

For instance, I am using spacers made of a material called "nylon 6,6 30% glass
fiber-reinforced" which happens to have a relative permittivity of 3.9. This
has the effect of increasing the effective permittivity between the wires from
1.00059 to 1.08656. Another way of saying this is that the velocity factor goes
from 1 (for pure air) to 0.959, or about 96% with the spacers. The effect of
this is to make the characteristic impedance of the line drop from around 480
to around 460 ohms.

( See http://www.emclab.cei.uec.ac.jp/xiao/Wire/index.html )

This obsessive exercise on my part illustrates that spacers don't make a whole
lot of difference, but they do make a difference. You may want to include their
effect or not.

Al  W6LX OM Al, Thank you for taking the time to share your results on this
forum.
"That which is not rigorous is meaningless.".......Attributed to Blaise Pascal
The results may not be significant or even of minor interest to many, but how
would we know had this work not be done and presented here. 72, Tim Colbert
K3HX