I'm changing the topic to more accurately reflect the ongoing discussion.

I'm also using a KAT500 on each of my two K-lines in my SO2R station, and I too would appreciate a bit more "intelligence" in the KAT500. My fully automated antenna switching arrangement uses a microHAM Double Ten switch, with the control for the two radio ports coming from a Station Master on each radio, so there are only two feedlines that enter the radio room.The antenna switching hardware is concealed in the attic on the other side of the wall from the station. Like everyone else who has attempted to set up a SO2R station using multiband antennas, I've grappled with the problem that the design of all the currently available switching and control hardware explicitly assumes you have separate antennas for each band. For many of us, this just isn't true.

I mainly use the KAT500 as a line flattener for my 160, 80 and 40 meter antennas; no problem there. But.. I also have a 20-15-10 dipole that I use for the second radio on the high bands. The dipole is pretty low and isn't particularly well matched, especially on 15 and 10. I now have the KAT500 on the secondary radio set up to match the dipole on 20 through 10. However, if I'm running SO2R with the primary radio on 40 and the secondary radio on 20 then I'll normally switch my SteppIR to the secondary radio, meaning I have to remember to put the KAT500 in bypass, and then to change it back later. Sometimes I don't. (Mother Nature and Father Time, you know.)

Even in SO1R mode, I sometimes want to quickly switch to the dipole on the high bands if someone calls me well out of the beam's main lobe. The Station Master makes the actual switching very easy via a keypad on the desk, but in this case I end up with the radio looking into a fairly high VSWR antenna if I don't also manually put the KAT500 in bypass mode. This isn't so good, especially if I'm running the KPA500.

What would be REALLY NICE would be if there were some way for the KAT500 to know which ANTENNA has been selected, and switch in the appropriate matching solution for that antenna on that band. I don't see any way to do this, given the present architecture. If there were some additional communication channel between the station control hardware and the KAT500 (and other Elecraft products) such as an extended command over the RS232 link in the case of the KAT500 or over the USB link for the KPA1500, conveying both band information and antenna ID could potentially be done. A simple 4 bit band code wouldn't be sufficient, but perhaps an 8 bit word with 4 bits of band information and 4 bits of antenna number would work. Of course, there then remains the not-so-small matter of formatting and transmitting this information packet from a wide variety of station control architectures using hardware from a number of vendors. Perhaps if Elecraft were to pave the way by implementing this capability the makers of the various commercial controllers would be willing to code in support for the feature. Just thinking out loud, and wishing...

73...
Randy, W8FN