On Fri,5/12/2017 1:46 PM, Kevin - K4VD wrote:
But as a community of
hams I am amazed at how we are shooting this guy's idea down dead. Then
kicking it. Then maybe shooting it again instead of commiserating with him
about all the cool things that might be missed because things are closed.

I'm at least as big a curmudgeon as anyone, but I've also made my living as a systems engineer for 30+ years and in pro sales for more than ten. This discussion is about "the big picture," which Elecraft has proved over and over again that they really understand that. I've been watching them for 15 years, and I've yet to see them make a marketing decision that I'd rate less than very good.

Ham radio is a very broad hobby. Elecraft sells products targeted to the needs and desires of hams they have identified as "their customers." Elecraft has chosen to NOT open their code or their radio. That's the product they are selling and that we are buying. Those who want to write code for their radio are not in that target group. If you want an open source radio, buy one of several other products that are available.

73, Jim K9YC