First, read the specifications. They are on page 54 of the latest KX3 manual.

" 5 W or less recommended for high-duty-cycle modes (FM, AM, DATA). Power will
automatically be reduced if PA temperature or current limits are exceeded.”

A larger heatsink was introduced a couple of years ago. The serial numbers for
the new heatsink are listed on the mods page.

http://www.elecraft.com/order_form_parts.htm#kx3
<http://www.elecraft.com/order_form_parts.htm#kx3>

Description and instructions include this: "The enhanced heat sink is thicker
than the original and wraps around the bottom of the KX3 as shown in Figure 1.
The additional mass and area of this heat sink provides as much as twice the
operating time at full power before the KX3’s protective circuitry
automatically reduces the power to 5 watts."

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740254%20KX3HSMDKT%20Heat%20Sink%20Installation%20rev%20A.pdf

<http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740254%20KX3HSMDKT%20Heat%20Sink%20Installation%20rev%20A.pdf>

For digital modes that require a lot of headroom and linearity (PSK31), I’d
probably stick with 5 W.

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood