Ian:

> On May 17, 2017, at 8:32 AM, Gian Luca Cazzola <glcazz...@alice.it> wrote:
>
> Are we sure that this, remote radio,  is really again ham radio and a radio
> shack?

Yes.  Due to homeowner association deed restrictions and smaller lots, it isn’t
always possible to have a ham station at everyone’s home.  The ability to
remote to my station in Georgia allows me to enjoy HF when I’m not there and
located where I can’t put up amateur antennas.

For example, I was on the weekly AMSAT 20 meter net this past Sunday afternoon
(14.282 MHz) at 1900Z remoting into my station in Southeast Georgia from West
Roxbury, MA.  I had full control of my station and those on the net could hear
me just as if I was at the operating position in Georgia.  I get to ‘play’ HF
radio with a fully configured station that I own whenever I feel like it and
can connect to a net that I enjoy checking in when I’m not in Georgia.

Other times I simply “listen” using my remote connection while working at my
desk because I enjoy hearing people talk and getting a sense of what are on the
minds of amateur radio operators.  The 80 meter band has a plethora of “nets”
where friends talk to each other every night. Their banter is sometimes a hoot
to listen to because they’re conveying a human connection through amateur radio.

Each of us may have different priorities and interests when it comes to amateur
radio;  remote operation allows me to use HF when I’m not sitting at the
operating position by the transceiver.

> I don’t want be offensive to anybody, but I think that our community,
> including our associations and the contest committees, should ask ourself
> this question and take decisions consequently.

They already are. I’m not a contester, but my understanding is that there are
rules already in effect regarding how a contester using a single remote
location is supposed be categorized in term of location.  Using multiple remote
sites in one contest means separate listings based upon actual activity from
each remote site.

> This kind of operating, as using 5 -10 - 20kw amplifier or ultra automated
> stations in contests, for contests or dx-ing is like drugs doping … I think.

Amateur rules about what constitutes legal amateur equipment or what are
appropriate operating practices don’t change with remote operation.  It simply
provides a different conduit that allows more flexibility in terms of
communicating through amateur radio.

The same conversation is taking place with VHF/UHF operations utilizing DMR and
C4FM.  I use an RFShark “OpenSpot” to connect to various DMR repeater networks
via the internet in order to remain connected with friends when I’m
out-of-area.  Last night as I was driving across Pennsylvania on I-80, I was on
the First Coast DMR talk group (Jacksonville, FL and Southeast Georgia) talking
to friends using a HT in the car connected to an Openspot that was tethered to
my iPhone.  When I’m in Texas, I can connect to the New England Wide Talkgroup
through the DRM+ network to get on the Monday night New England Net (NEDECN:
New England Digital Emergency Communications Network, part of DMR-MARC) to
learn about what’s happening with DMR in New England when I’m not in Boston.

The ability to combine ‘connectivity’ provided by the internet with amateur
radio is a wonderful thing because it allows us to maintain relationships and
create new ones no matter where we are….

FWIW,

Barry, WD4ASW