You have a highly distorted view of remote operation, which seems to be based on the "rent a shack" of Remote Ham Radio. I do agree that buying time on someone else's remote station thousands of miles from your own to fill in DX countries is cheating, even though it doesn't technically violate rules for the awards. But that's only one small fraction of remote operation.

What's being discussed here (I think) is setting up one's own station for remote operation, perhaps from a hotel room while traveling, or one located in a quiet location that is not bothered by RF noise from neighbors, and where antennas are not limited by local restrictions. Setting up a station for remote operation is a real engineering challenge, especially if there's much antenna switching involved. I have a great deal of respect for those hams who have successfully done so.

73, Jim K9YC