Ouch, Fred!

One of the standard airline emergency procedures for a smoking/burning/fizzing
phone or other personal electronics is to submerge it in water or wrap wet
towels around it to reduce the temperature and keep it from igniting nearby
flammable materials.

It's my understanding that the weakness is more mechanical than chemical. You
may know that the insulation within modern Li-Poly (and similar) battery cells
is in the order of a few molecules thick. If you could see the insulating layer
with your naked eye, such an insulator next to a human hair would have the hair
looking like a mountain range by comparison.

Once one insulator is breached for any reason, the heat released is usually
sufficient to cause other inter-cell insulators in the pack to breach in a
cascading effect that releases all the energy within a few seconds, hence the
heat and if anything even slightly flammable is near it, flames, smoke and
gasses.

It all comes down to the care with which the battery was assembled and tested,
and the care with which it is used - not overcharging it, not subjecting the
battery to excessive shock, etc.

While I have some of those batteries in my cameras, personal electronics, etc.,
they are never stored or charged near anything won't burst into flames even if
subjected to molten iron for half a minute or more.

A good friend often describes cellular phones as a 'great technology that
ALMOST works'. I put modern high-energy capacity batteries in the same
category.

73, Ron AC7AC