I did respond to George while I was at Dayton. Yes, there are other situations that could produce those problems - usually those ate accociated with the T/R switch area.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 5/21/2017 10:44 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
Don: I guess you never noticed my response to Ken that I posted last Friday.
The fan moves air INTO the K2, across the PA and it comes out around the
heat sink fins near the front of the K2, just as George said.

I suggested Ken contact you after he determined that he had in fact set the
bias current correctly and the fan was operating correctly because you work
on K2s quite often. It's been five years since mine was apart!

73, Ron AC7AC

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don
Wilhelm
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2017 6:19 PM
To: George Winship, NC5G; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K2/100 overheating?

George,

I will check the fan air flow direction tomorrow because I am uncertain.
If you have the label out and the wires on the correct holes, yours is
likely OK.

There are 2 philosophies about the fan direction.  One is that you should
exhaust the heat and let the assembly draw cool air across the hot
components.

The other says to let the fan "blow" on the hot components.
The major difference between the two is that a blower fan adds heat to the
air (due to the work produced by the fan), but adds the benefit of directing
the air flow to the area to be cooled.
An exhaust fan does not add its work product heat to the air being moved,
but the cool air cannot be directed as well because it is spread over a
large area in the enclosure box.

73,
Don W3FPR