When I partially migrated from HF to VHF in the 70's I jumped over six, went to 2M and got involved in MS, Tropo and EME, hence I was never interested in 6M and never built any equipment for the band. But, since I had acquired a K3, but no amp or tuner, I connected to my 80-meter inverted-vee and listened a bit during Field Day 2009. I heard a local numbskull on top of a nearby 9,500 ASL mountain working Es stations on 50.125 without QSY.

In disgust I started tuning down into the DX window. At 50.123+ I heard a weak CW CQ. When he stood by, I gave him a call. I probably had no more than a few watts into the dipole but he answered. It was JL8GFB! In the log at 0014Z. Over an hour later, at 0122Z I heard and worked JA7WSZ on 50.096. The local was still CQing and the band was open to JA but no one seemed to know.

Wes  N7WS